Friday, December 4, 2009

I didn't cry. This time.

I volunteered at an orphanage yesterday. I've been wanting to go since we moved here, and I finally got my act together. I thought I was pretty prepared for what I would find, and I knew this was one of the "good" ones--all the kids are well fed, warm and well cared for.

It was still an emotionally shattering experience. I won't try and describe the kids, or some of the horrific problems they were burdened with, and I will say that the Ayis were very conscientious. All the kids had clean diapers, full stomachs and warm clothes.

But I am still haunted, 24 hours later. I don't understand how a three year old (who looks 9 months old) who has spent her life in a crib in a room with 15 other babies in cribs can still smile like that when someone sings to her. I don't know how a baby who has been largely ignored most of his life can find so much happiness from just sitting in the sun. I don't know how I can keep going back every week knowing Sunny is going to cry like that when I have to put her down and leave again. But I will. Because if you amazing women (you know who you are) can do this every single week, I'm in.

5 comments:

T.A.T.I Crew said...

You need to write a book.

Seriously. Start now.

Please?

The Hodges Family said...

Oh...I can only imagine how this experience will change your life! What an amazing woman you are for doing this....and being able to be a special part in those childrens lives...

Alicia said...

Oh Liv, I would just be sobbing after I left. You're amazing!

rychelle said...

THat is really cool!! Thanks for sharing@

Jessica Adams said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.