Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Friday's Phone Call

Names have been changed to protect the innocent, or at least the less-stupid-than-me.

Me: "Hello?"
Guy From Church: "Hi, this is Guy From Church. I’m calling to see if you guys could sing in church this week?"
Me: thinking, wow, that is really short notice! "Ummmm, I guess I could. Big M doesn’t really sing."
GFC: Looooooooooooooooooong awkward pause. "Oh, okay, that’s okay. I’m also calling the Chevys and the Smashoysters, so you can get together with them and decide what you’d like to do."
Me: what? What is he talking about? Are we supposed to come up with some kind of group number? What’s going on here? "Ohhhhhhhh, okay."
GFC: "Now we usually schedule it for 9 am, but you can do it anytime you want."
Me: what? What is he TALKING about? I choose WHEN we’re going to sing? I am so confused! "Ummm . . . "
GFC: in a very patient tone, as if I am slightly slow-- "I mean, we usually recommend 9 am on Saturday, but you can really do it any time on Saturday that you want, you can all just discuss it and agree."
Me: What the heck is he . . . wait! "Wait. Did you say clean the church?"
GFC: "Yeah."
Me: laughing, “I’m so sorry! I thought you said sing in church!”

And as we hang up I am reviewing the conversation in my head from his point of view, and realizing how close I came to giving Big M a very undeserved reputation for chauvinism and laziness.

6 comments:

M.Howerton said...

That is so funny!!
I sort of wish I could see the look on GFC face.

So, this must mean that things are going well. :)

PS- Plant is thriving! who knew?

ucmama said...

Hey, if Big M must sing while he clean, that's OK too!

Cindy said...

LOL!! I'd much rather hear you sing in church than sing in church, though!

Jared Behunin said...

Haha...

Gandalf said...

Hysterical! So glad that other people have experiences like this! Much love from the Bradys!

NOBODY said...

This awesome.

When we get to heaven and watch the videos of our lives---I'm TOTALLY renting this to watch.