My kids were asking about all the stuff made in China and MFN status and US debt, etc. Anyway, the conversation ranged all over. It ended (and stayed) at the human rights situation in China and after mulling it for a bit, my kids want to help.
The question is how. The stuff I can find online is letter-writing, etc, and I think they intended something more substantial. I saw your post on the orphanage volunteering. Could we send things to you for them? Do you have any contacts or ideas? Can you let me know? Thanks so much.
It's kind of tricky. Sending anything here costs more than the stuff itself, and the orphanage I work at doesn't really need more stuff--but there are a few causes we do support here that you could definitely help out with.
One is Coal for Kids, which supplies rural non-government orphanages with heat for the bitter winters here. My kids' school supports them every year (Cletus's class bought 42 TONS of coal this year!) and they are a well-run, locally viable charity.
The charitable giving method I most prefer now (I'm pickier since we moved here and saw what actually helps) is through Peter Singer's list at http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/pledge/organizations.php?lang=EN
We are especially fans of http://www.globalgiving.org and http://www.heifer.org
Hefier might be the best way to start kids out on the idea, since they get to give a physical object (ducks, chickens, a cow, etc) to a poverty-ridden family. My kids have responded especially well to this charity, and have given each other "a flock of chickens" or "a part of a water buffalo" for birthday presents. Coal for Kids is also very relatable, as the donation is literally saving children from losing fingers, toes and even feet to frostbite this winter.
Sorry it's not more immediate, but really, the amount of good I can physically do here is pretty limited, and places like this really are better at channelling money that I am. China is complicated.
So, I'm a liar. Or, I forget stuff. Assuming I can get one of my embassy friends to let you mail stuff to them for cheap (which I can)you actually could help a ton by sending warm baby/toddler clothes and baby pajamas! There's a charity here that mails out clothes to rural orphanages that need them desparately. Used but in good condition is great. Small, simple, battery free toys are great too. Hmmmm. Lemme check about shipping, but if your kids would like to do this, it would be very useful.
3 comments:
So...Livi.
My kids were asking about all the stuff made in China and MFN status and US debt, etc. Anyway, the conversation ranged all over. It ended (and stayed) at the human rights situation in China and after mulling it for a bit, my kids want to help.
The question is how. The stuff I can find online is letter-writing, etc, and I think they intended something more substantial. I saw your post on the orphanage volunteering. Could we send things to you for them? Do you have any contacts or ideas? Can you let me know? Thanks so much.
It's kind of tricky. Sending anything here costs more than the stuff itself, and the orphanage I work at doesn't really need more stuff--but there are a few causes we do support here that you could definitely help out with.
One is Coal for Kids, which supplies rural non-government orphanages with heat for the bitter winters here. My kids' school supports them every year (Cletus's class bought 42 TONS of coal this year!) and they are a well-run, locally viable charity.
The charitable giving method I most prefer now (I'm pickier since we moved here and saw what actually helps) is through Peter Singer's list at http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/pledge/organizations.php?lang=EN
We are especially fans of http://www.globalgiving.org and http://www.heifer.org
Hefier might be the best way to start kids out on the idea, since they get to give a physical object (ducks, chickens, a cow, etc) to a poverty-ridden family. My kids have responded especially well to this charity, and have given each other "a flock of chickens" or "a part of a water buffalo" for birthday presents. Coal for Kids is also very relatable, as the donation is literally saving children from losing fingers, toes and even feet to frostbite this winter.
Sorry it's not more immediate, but really, the amount of good I can physically do here is pretty limited, and places like this really are better at channelling money that I am. China is complicated.
So, I'm a liar. Or, I forget stuff. Assuming I can get one of my embassy friends to let you mail stuff to them for cheap (which I can)you actually could help a ton by sending warm baby/toddler clothes and baby pajamas! There's a charity here that mails out clothes to rural orphanages that need them desparately. Used but in good condition is great. Small, simple, battery free toys are great too. Hmmmm. Lemme check about shipping, but if your kids would like to do this, it would be very useful.
Post a Comment