Monday, August 30, 2010

Gratimuse

Every once in a while I have to take a step back and look at the place where I live.  This is a place where I can (and do) ride my bike nearly everywhere I want to go.  Where I can hear 7 different languages during 10 minutes in my little neighborhood grocery store.  Where in that grocery store I can buy German sausage, Australian cookies, Japanese seaweed crackers and haggis flavored potato chips (sorry, crisps).   Where I can carry on a conversation with my Swedish friend and my German neighbor, and so that everyone can understand, we carry it on in Chinese.  This is a surreal and I am fairly sure unique community, and I feel so, so blessed to be able to be part of it.








And don't worry.  I didn't really buy the haggis crisps. 

But I could have, if I had wanted to.

2 comments:

Katie said...

You forgot about tongue popsicles that flop around. Those are the most remarkable thing in Beijing.

Olivia Meikle said...

If by remarkable you mean remarkably disturbing . . .