I know that I haven't been posting nearly enough about our life in China here. The trouble is, there is so much to say that it's completely paralyzing--I can't even begin to know where to begin. But I am resolved to do better. So here's a small attempt.
The other day, I rode my bike to the grocery store, about 2 miles, and then had them deliver my groceries for me. This usually takes about 10 minutes, and sometimes the car, or bicycle-pulled wagon, beats me home. This time it seemed to be taking a while, and I was starting to wonder. When the groceries finally arrived, I realized immediately why it had taken longer than usual. As I looked out the front door I saw the teenage boy who was delivering them pulling my bags of groceries out of his chosen delivery vehicle--a grocery cart. Yes indeedy, he had walked, pushing a grocery cart, from the store to my house. Awesome.
My favorite ritual of every day is the Changing of the Guard. Our neighborhood has guards stationed every block or so who just keep an eye on things (and help my kids when they fall off their bikes, drop things out of their backpacks, or forget which house is theirs). They are uniformly wonderful guys. Twice a day, a large group of new guards arrives at the front gate and, after completing an inspection in a very military-like manner, the whole group marches off in perfect precision around the neighborhood, dropping off a new guard at every "station" and picking up the old on on the tail end. This way, by the time they reach the gate again, all the guards have been replaced. Another inspection ensues, then all 20 or so of them cram into a 10 passenger van and head for home. It's entertaining every single time.
I've finally stopped forgetting and accidentally rinsing my toothbrush in tap water.
My Ayi got a stomach bug on Saturday. She was sick on Sunday, then on Sunday afternoon went to the Chinese Medicine doctor, who prescribed cupping. Did you guys ever (as Matthew did) play that teenage game where you get a glass cup or bottle, throw a lighted match inside, then place it tight against your skin to create a vaccuum? It gives you a pretty fierce "hickey" mark. It also, according to Chinese Medicine, sucks the toxins and "cold air" out of your body and helps you get better. Does it work? Well, she's back at work today, apparently 100% recovered. So who knows?
4 comments:
good tidbits. real good.
We called the game the fat test! The chubbier you were the more fat you could suck up!
Bry remembers that match game very well...and he still has the scar to prove it. :)
I really enjoy reading about your very interesting life!
Post a Comment