One of our main goals in relocating our children halfway around the world (or are we all the way around the world? Is "around the world" 180 degrees or 360? Hmmmmm . . .) was to give our children an international perspective on life. We wanted them to realize that America is not the be all and end all of everything, and that there is a wide world of cultures, languages and ideas out there to enrich and inspire us.
Which brings me to last Thursday, when I got in trouble for not being German.
You read that correctly.
Lemmy came home from school complaining that "almost everyone in my class can speak THREE languages, Mom, and I can only even speak one!" I sympathized with his real frustration at this serious deficiency in his education, and reminded him that most of the kids in his class come from non-English-speaking countries. "Yeah, but Mom, Tony can speak Swedish and German and English and Chinese!" "Lemmy, that's because Tony's Dad is Swedish and his Mom is German." Short pause while Lemmy ponders this information, then turns on me accusingly and treats me to an impressive scowl, "Well, why aren't YOU German, Mom?!?"
2 comments:
Well, yeah! Why aren't you!?
I know what you are though. Based on your parenthetical thinking at the beginning of this post, you are A BIG DORK.
And funny.
Well?! Why AREN'T you?!
Post a Comment