Umm....so it is a hole in the ground, with a porcelain cover to it? Are you supposed to sit right down on it? Or just squat close to it? Sorry for my curiosity. :)
This is known as a "pit toilet" or a "squat toilet." As the name suggests, you just squat over it. Please also note the absense of toilet paper--you are expected to supply your own.
The Chinese find toilets incredibly disgusting--the idea that you would SIT where someone else had done their business is incomprehensible.
Remember when you sent me into just such a place and then like 3 minutes later realized that I would ignorantly think there was toilet paper supplied and tried to find me to help but it was too late? :) I love China.
4 comments:
Umm....so it is a hole in the ground, with a porcelain cover to it? Are you supposed to sit right down on it? Or just squat close to it? Sorry for my curiosity. :)
This is known as a "pit toilet" or a "squat toilet." As the name suggests, you just squat over it. Please also note the absense of toilet paper--you are expected to supply your own.
The Chinese find toilets incredibly disgusting--the idea that you would SIT where someone else had done their business is incomprehensible.
Remember when you sent me into just such a place and then like 3 minutes later realized that I would ignorantly think there was toilet paper supplied and tried to find me to help but it was too late? :) I love China.
So I really really want to come to China. Except the asparagus juice scares me, as does the pit toilet. Really.
Post a Comment