Many people have asked for recommendations of good books about, or set in, China. I am always happy to oblige with book recommendations about any topic whatsoever (
once a librarian, always a librarian) but first I feel compelled to give a disclaimer. It is nearly impossible to write a book about China, especially historical China, without including violence, strong language, sex, or a combination of all three. This is because, basically, that's the whole history of China. Therefore, pretty much all of these books contain some content that some may find objectionable. Most are not extreme, and all, in my opinion, are validly used, but I just wanted to get that out there. So. With that, here we go . . .
This is a "travelogue" style book by a former NPR China correspondent, covering his trip along the Silk Road from Shanghai to the border. It has valuable insights into Chinese culture and the changes that are rocking the country. Fascinating, funny, insightful and sometimes profound, a great intro to the country.
One of the most powerful books I've ever read, period. A history of the author's childhood in China, and the lives of her Mother and Grandmother, from warlord's concubine to the Cultural Revolution. It's one of those stories that stays with you for days, and weeks, and YEARS afterwards, and changes many of the ways you view the world forever. A must-read. Just don't read it on the way here--it's banned in China, and Chinese passengers on the plane
will take it from you. Because they want to read it.
- Snowflower and the Secret Fan and Shanghai Girls--Lisa See
Both books were extremely well written, and gave vivid and immediate portraits of the lives of women in historical China.
Snowflower is set in "old" China, and gives one of the most truthful, and disturbing, accounts of the practice of "footbinding" that I've read.
Shanghai Girls is set during the 1930's-50's and covers the war with Japan, the plight of Chinese immigrants in America and touches a bit on Mao's China. I'd recommend reading it after
Wild Swans--I think it makes the context of
Shanghai Girls even more fascinating.
One of those books that everyone in the Western Hemisphere thinks they know about and no one has actually read. Give it a try. It's fascinating, and not at all what you expect.
- Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress--Dai Sijie
Two teenage boys are sent to the country for "reeducation" during Mao's Cultural Revolution, and discover a secret stash of Western novels. A short, unexpected little gem of a book.
- The Good Earth--Pearl S. Buck
The original, and still one of the best. Wonderful.
I'll add more as I read them--I'm always seeking out new books to add to my "China Shelf." So if
you've got any recommendations . . .
2 comments:
We just read The Good Earth in my book club. I loved it. Very interesting. Makes me so grateful for what I have, and don't have in my life.
"The Joy Luck Club" by Amy Tan
Post a Comment