Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The sun'll come out . . .

I had a moment yesterday where I tried to imagine a life where Leafy Isaac could talk.  Or understand.  A world where I could have a conversation with him, ask him what he did in school, if he had fun at the playground, why he is crying . . .


I have faith that we will get there, and most days I am patient while we work and wait.  But other days, I'm overwhelmed at how much work there is to be done.  At how much he is missing.  At how far behind he got before we did anything about it.  And I know that's what parenting is, wondering and second guessing and always thinking of what you should have done, but it's sometimes overwhelming.  Big M is much better than me at seeing the progress.  I'm too impatient.  So I'm glad to have him around to remind me that, yes, we are getting there.  (I am, of course, glad to have him around for lots of other reasons as well . . .) To point out that, hey, he said has a ball!  And look, he told you to sit down instead of pulling you to the chair!

I'm glad someone around here has some perspective. In the meantime, I'll keep trying. 


But I must say, I never thought I would be found working relentlessly to teach my child to say "mine!"

3 comments:

Megan Raines said...

We all love Leafy Isaac. I heard him chatting it up with Grant the other day at playgroup. I really appreciate your comments about parenting. It is so true...how many sleepless nights! You guys are great parents, that's why God trusted you with this challenge!

Alesa Larsen said...

Wow what a struggle. Me I have this opposite problem, my kids never stop. Seriously there must be some kind of balance here. Hang in there. You seem like an incredible mom to your boys.

Cindy said...

I find myself wondering similar things about my triplets. We're definitely seeing learning issues due to their extreme prematurity--but which are bad enough to need some kind of intervention? I mean I think we're doing ok, but what if we're not?? Hang in there!