Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Watch your Language

I've written, like, 4 really good blog posts this week.  In my head. 

I can't remember them now.  But rest assured, they were fascinating and very very funny.

So instead, you get this.

I like Chinese.  It's a fun language to learn.  It's so intensely logical that about 50% of the time, you could just guess what a word will be and you're right.  Like, a puppy is a Young Dog.  And a kitten?  3 guesses.   A gate is a Mouth Door.  A cell phone is a Hand Machine.  Computer?  Electric Brain. 

But I love how learning Chinese also makes me appreciate English more.  I know that's true of any foreign language, but it seems especially so with Chinese.  I have these great conversations with my teacher where I'm trying to learn some obscure word that she doesn't know in English, so we have to talk around it, and we both end up laughing at the funny way the other's lanuguage has found to describe this thing.  Like, for instance.  Lemmy's teacher is a also a skydiving instructor.  (Again--I love this school)  So I was trying to learn the word, and my teacher was absolutely thrilled to hear the word Skydiving.  "That's beautiful!" she laughed, "you Americans are so imaginative!"  and I thought, hey, yeah, that IS a cool word!  Good for us! 

So want to know what it is in Mandarin?  Jump with Umbrella.  Delightful. 

1 comment:

Megan Raines said...

That better be Mary Poppin's umbrella if I'm going to try it!

Two blogs in one day! I'm having that kind of day too, chocolate and blogger therapy.