So.
Leafy Isaac doesn't talk. He'll be three at the end of the month. He has, basically, a 20 word vocabulary. He uses language only in ritual ways (greetings, goodbyes, reciting episodes of VeggieTales, etc) instead of spontaneously, for communication. We've taken him to a great speech therapist who told us that he is more than 1 year behind. We've been trying to find out why this might be happening, and have been eliminating some things (asperger's syndrome, apraxia) but still haven't had much insight into what to do to help this little guy communicate.
Check out that excellent duck, though! He may not talk, but he can DRAW!
Yesterday we took him to a great pediatrician here in BJ and found out that he does have fluid in his ears. We have suspected (can I say hoped?) that that might be the case, because disrupted hearing is a WAY nicer diagnosis than, say, autism. But we still don't know why he has fluid in his ears, or to what extent it's actually affecting his hearing and therefore his speech. But it's a start. We'll be getting the results of some allergy tests in a week or so, and we're hoping that they may shed some light on the matter. He's also on a couple of allergy meds now. We'll keep you posted.
But I have to say, for the record, that if I end up with yet another kid with food allergies and I didn't notice it, I submit my resignation. Because, really, I mean, what else am I good for here? That's like the one parenting skill I have. Or thought I had.
Sigh.
However, in happier news, Lemmy is eating wheat twice a week! This is a life-changing event. He went to a birthday party and ate the birthday cake. Just like everyone else! As he (rather heart-breakingly) said, "It's just like being blended into the rest of the kids!"
Here's to being blended.
This year--Rye crackers.
Next year--Gingerbread!
1 comment:
One of our children was also speech delayed. I'll check with Kim to find out the age when speech began. It seems like one of our kids had to have tubes inserted into their ears to drain fluid.
Post a Comment